Home Up

Stripping Down

horizontal rule

With the engine & gearbox removed there was much better access to continue the strip down of the rest of the car. I labelled everything and set all the parts aside in boxes roughly relating to where the items had come from. Taking a car to pieces is a bit like digging a hole. The volume of what you take out is about six times what it was before you started.

There were no particular problems removing any of the parts but getting the wiring harness out was very time consuming. The large harness from the fusebox is a very tight fit as it goes through the bulkhead to the back of the dash. The old harness had been made with a mixture of PVC and cloth covered rubber cables. The rubber cables were very stiff, and when bent, the rubber disintegrated. I discovered a couple of places where there had been small fires in the loom.

 

 

A new harness, which is actually several small looms, came with the car and as I removed the old one, I marked each part to show where it had come from and what the routing was. The plan is to lay the old and new harnesses out side by side so that I can identify where each bit goes.

As I stripped each bit down I took photographs to help with the reassembly. Apart from the harness, I found it very difficult to remove the windscreen. The rubber was extremely hard with age but in the end I managed to hack it out with a Stanley knife. This took a complete day.

Eventually, I had a bare body sitting on the chassis. The body is fixed at the following points on each side. At the very front of the chassis the wing support pillar is bolted on with two bolts. I found no spacers here. Working back, the inner wing bolts to the top of the suspension mounting via a vertical triangular bracket. Next the floor bolts to tapped holes in the chassis. There were small square aluminium spacers under this fixing. The sills have two mountings at the 'A' & 'B' posts fixed to outriggers on the chassis. There were big round aluminium spacers here and also Kautex washers. Finally, the rear body is fixed at three more places. Firstly, at the top of the up-sweep into a tapped hole and then two fixings with nuts and bolts that go right through the chassis. One at the rear spring hanger and one right at the back. These all have the same round aluminium spacers though they were different thicknesses. After a lot of soaking with penetrating oil, I managed to get all these undone without shearing off any bolts but there were some remnants of body corroded onto a couple of the spacers. These soon cleaned up OK.

When everything was undone, I cut off of the bottom of the wings and then through the sills and lifted the body off in two sections. The front section was going to be grit blasted and cutting off the lower part allows better access. It also enabled me to see just how bad the corrosion was round the bulkhead side support structures.

After blasting there were a few more holes mainly in the heat affected zone where Jaguar had joined the two parts of the front wings during manufacture. These are only pinholes and will fill easily. Also, the extent of the corrosion of the left hand inner wing became apparent. Presumably, this is due to the location of the battery.

 

Now the body and chassis are both ready for work. I am working on the two in parallel but starting the assembly of the body is a real milestone as it marks the end of taking things apart and begins the reconstruction.

An idea of just how badly rusted the bulkhead was.

Back to Front Page

Rebuilding the Body

 

 

Jaguar XK 140 Restoration